Article: "The Teen Phenomena"

Recently I have been... captured... by the words of Kevin Swanson and thrown into a depth of thought that makes my mind whirl. While I get a bit dizzy trying to sort out the rush of thoughts swirling around somewhere deep in my mind I appreciate so much the challenge that this "whirl" gives me. I love the opportunity to share with my Mr. F my findings and have great discussions and hopefully apply it to our living somehow.


I have just finished reading this article: The Teen Phenomena. It will take me some time to process this and the call to change that arose in my spirit tonight! and since Mr. F is away at a meeting, I just have to share this, so here is a snippet... I will be reading along with you because it deserves a second read...

(I have added some emphasis.)

"What we have today is the remnants of a civilization where the pop culture mentors the teens, and the teens mentor their peers, and the culture is hardly developed by parents or pastors mentoring in families and churches anymore. The pastors or shepherds of the culture are the pop icons, and the youth pastors run hard to keep up with the cultural standards set by the icons. Is it any surprise that 70% of young men are not grown up by 30 years of age (up from 30% in 1970), per Newsweek magazine, or that 80% of Christian children not discipled by their parents “leave the faith” after leaving home?

If we will rebuild culture, we must begin with the fifth commandment, and a willing
ness on the part of parents to disciple their children in the commandments of Jesus. If this happens, we will begin to see culture reconstructed on the wreckage of the 20th century. Hopefully, the next generation will be more mature than we were in their incarnations of love and honor and discipleship of the succeeding generation; but only because they stand on the shoulders of their own parents who discipled them. "


While I understand that several fingers could be pointing at me right now, lets just focus on the solution, shall we?! It seems this will require a huge paradigm shift of perspective- I guess prayer is always the best beginning...

0 comments: